Anyone setting up an aviation business in New Zealand, whether large or small, needs CAA approval to operate.
There are two groups in the CAA specifically set up to help you through the certification process and to ensure you maintain standards once you get certificated. The Air Transport and Airworthiness Group deals with large operations while the Helicopters, Adventure and UAS Group focuses its attentions on small aeroplanes and helicopters.
Civil Aviation Rule Parts 119, 121 and 125 cover the certification and operating requirements of airlines resident in New Zealand, and Part 129 covers Foreign Air Transport Operator certification for airlines wishing to fly to and from New Zealand. Related Advisory Circulars provide explanatory information and examples of ways to comply with these Rules.
Airlines should also pay particular attention to Parts 108, 92, 91, 43, 19, 12 and 1 - which cover security, dangerous goods, operating rules, maintenance, accidents and incidents, and the meanings of definitions and abbreviations used in the rules.
- RNP / RVSM
- CAA Surveillance
- Safety Management Systems (SMS)
- Air Cargo
- Call Signs - Airline Operator Call Signs and Aircraft Call Signs
Cabin Safety for Airlines
- Advisory Circulars - Part 119 Air Operator - Certification
- Certification Policy - Organisations (PDF 102 KB)
- Civil Aviation Act 1990
- Civil Aviation Rules - Quick Index
- Fit and Proper Person Process
- Guidance for Senior Persons (PDF 870 KB)
- Part 108 - Air Operator Security Programme
- Cabin Safety for Passengers
- Forms - Certification
- Forms - Part 100 Safety Management
- Forms - Part 47 Aircraft Registration and Marking
Inquiries and applications: firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications for individual aviation documents, and for senior persons for organisations are required to use the 24FPP form below. Use this link for more information on the FPP Process.
- Advice for Applicants - Application for a Part 129 Foreign Air Operator Certificate (FAOC) (PDF)
- 24129/01A Application for CAR Part 129 FAOC - Addendum - Explanatory Notes for Drafting an Exposition (Word)
- Part 129 Application Form (Word)
- Part 129 Application Form (PDF)
- Part 129 Matrix (Word)
- Meteorological Services for International Aviation - Information for Part 129 Foreign Operators (PDF)
- Part 108 Matrix - Security Programme (PDF) Part 108 Matrix - Security Programme (Word) (See Advice for Applicants (PDF) for an explanation of its use.)
- Aircraft and Agricultural Statistics
- Child Restraints - Useful information for parents and caregivers to keep their children safe while flying.
- Portable Electronic Devices (PEDs)
- Address for Service
- Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 - CAA as a Designated Agency
- Certificated Organisations
- Aviation Spectrum Group
- Performance Based Navigation (PBN)
- Fatigue Risk Management
- Missing Aircraft Detection and Location - Technology and System Status Review 2010 (PDF)
- Safety Information Policy - The Collection and Use of Safety Information (PDF)