Registration marks allow an observer to easily identify a particular aircraft. Marks are allocated in alphabetical sequence, according to the class of aircraft.

  • ZK-A**, ZK-B**, ZK-GA*, and ZK-HA* are marks reserved for restored historical aircraft.
  • ZK-FA* and ZK-FB* marks are reserved for balloons (they may use a fixed wing marks upon request).
  • ZK-G** marks are reserved for gliders.
  • ZK-H** and ZK-I** marks are reserved for helicopters.
  • ZK-RA*, ZK-RB*, ZK-RC*, and ZK-RD* marks are reserved for gyrocopters.
  • All ZK-Q** marks are not available for use - prohibited by ICAO.
  • All other marks are available for fixed wing aircraft.

How to register a mark

Step one

Check if the mark you want is on this list and can be used on your type of aircraft. There are some marks that can be used only on certain types of aircraft, and some that cannot be used at all – see above.

Step two

Email your request to the aircraft registrar. The mark will be ‘pencilled in’, and you’ll be emailed with that information. Pencilled-in marks will be held for 30 days to allow time for us to receive your payments.

Step three

Send confirmation of your request and the fee to: Aircraft Registrar, Civil Aviation Authority, PO Box 3555, Wellington 6140. Please include your name, CAA client number (if known), address, phone numbers, and email address. You’ll receive a letter of confirmation and receipt. The mark will be reserved for two years.

Available marks

This page shows the aircraft registration marks currently available. If the mark you want is not in this list, and not on the aircraft register, you may still be able to reserve it. Contact the aircraft registrar to find out if the mark is available.

There’s a fee if you want a specific mark. You can reserve the mark or specify it when registering your aircraft. If you do not specify a mark, one will be allocated to you.

Fees, levies, and charges