What you need to know regarding aircraft registration and registration marks.

All aircraft must be registered, except for sport parachutes, paramotors, hang gliders, paragliders and unmanned aircraft (although this may be required if operating under Part 102).

1. Complete form(s)
  • Find the relevant form(s)
  • Complete all required information
2. Pay online

Payment must be made before your application will be processed.

  • Have your CAA participant number handy (if you have one)
  • Go to online payments
  • Payment can be made by Mastercard, Visa or internet banking
  • Note the receipt number and remember to reference it on your form(s)
3. Submit application

Gather all required information:

  • Receipt / proof of payment
  • Completed application form(s) and any supporting documents, including any required evidence / proof of eligibility (see the form instructions)


Send application(s) with supporting documentation to aircraftregistrar@caa.govt.nz.

Alternatively, we can still accept mail-in applications, but processing times may be much longer.

The aircraft is registered in the name of the person or group who has possession of that aircraft for 28 days or longer. It’s important for the CAA to have accurate details of your aircraft for us to manage:

  • Entry and exit control of aircraft to the NZ civil aviation system
  • Maintaining the NZ Aircraft Register in terms of our ICAO responsibilities
  • Contact details to send important information such as safety bulletins, airworthiness directives, etc.

The participation levy and annual fees cannot be paid online.
There is no fee applicable, or application form, for a change of address.

The following aircraft products and fees can be paid online.

A certificate of registration is not an ownership document. “Owner” under the Civil Aviation Rules refers to the person or organisation who operates the aircraft (for 28 days or longer). The basic requirement for registration in New Zealand is that the aircraft is not registered in any other country. An aircraft cannot be registered until the CAA has received confirmation from the previous country of registration that the aircraft has been de-registered.

We consider the owner of an aircraft to be whoever has possession of it for 28 days or longer. The CAA requires details of the current operator of the aircraft so they can forward any urgent safety information quickly. Learn more about change of possession.

The owner of a registered aircraft has to pay an annual registration fee and participation levy. If your aircraft won’t be flown in the future, or you’re exporting it, you can de-register it and you won't have to pay the annual fees and levies. Learn more about de-registration of aircraft.

The Cape Town Convention allows lenders and lessors to register an Irrevocable De-registration and Export Request Authorisation (IDERA). An IDERA is a creditor’s remedy in case of default by the lessee. An IDERA must be recorded with the registry authority – the Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand for all New Zealand-registered aircraft.

The holder of a New Zealand certificate of registration may apply for a new registration mark to replace the mark allocated to the aircraft specified in the certificate.

Learn more about rules for assigning marks, how to register one, and currently available marks.

Ask us about aircraft registration

If you have any questions about this topic, use our contact form, or email aircraftregistrar@caa.govt.nz